In this 4-minute video, addiction psychiatrist, Kevin Hill, MD, talks about the pros and cons of legalization of the recreational use of marijuana.
On the pro side:
- Freedom of choice
- Money from increased excise tax revenues
- Incarceration (disproportionate arrests of blacks for marijuana possession that legalization may correct)
On the con side:
- Will increased marijuana use lead to increased addiction?
- Involvement of Big Tobacco and Big Alcohol
- Driving while impaired (no technology to measure level of impairment)
Dr Hill is the author of the soon-to-be published Marijuana: The Unbiased Truth About the World's Most Popular Weed. You can find him on twitter at @DrKevinHill.