Drugs Mentioned in This Article
Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol, others)
Lithium (Eskalith, Lithane, Lithobid)
Valproate/valproic acid (Depakote, others)
1. Kessler R. Comorbidity of unipolar and bipolar depression with other psychiatric disorders in a general population survey. In: Tohen M, ed. Comorbidity in Affective Disorders. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 1999:1-25.
2. McElroy SL, Altshuler LL, Suppes T, et al. Axis I psychiatric comorbidity and its relationship to historical illness variables in 288 patients with bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:420-426.
3. McIntyre RS, Konarski JZ, Yatham LN. Comorbidity in bipolar disorder: a framework for rational treatment selection. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004;19:369-386.
4. Kupfer DJ. The increasing medical burden in bipolar disorder. JAMA. 2005;293:2528-2530.
5. Osby U, Brandt L, Correia N, et al. Excess mortality in bipolar and unipolar disorder in Sweden. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2001;58:844-850.
6. Murray CJ, Lopez AD. Global mortality, disability, and the contribution of risk factors: Global Burden of Disease Study. Lancet. 1997;349:1436-1442.
7. McIntyre RS, Soczynska JK, Bottas A, et al. Anxiety disorders and bipolar disorder: a review. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:665-676.
8. Judd LL, Akiskal HS. The prevalence and disability of bipolar spectrum disorders in the US population: re-analysis of the ECA database taking into account subthreshold cases. J Affect Disord. 2003;73:123-131.
9. Keller MB. Prevalence and impact of comorbid anxiety and bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67 (suppl 1):5-7.
10. Boylan KR, Bieling PJ, Marriott M, et al. Impact of comorbid anxiety disorders on outcome in a cohort of patients with bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65:1106-1113.
11. Simon NM, Otto MW, Wisniewski SR, et al. Anxiety disorder comorbidity in bipolar disorder patients: data from the first 500 participants in the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD). Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161:2222-2229.
12. MacQueen GM, Marriott M, Begin H, et al. Subsyndromal symptoms assessed in longitudinal, prospective follow-up of a cohort of patients with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2003;5:349-355.
13. MacKinnon DF, Zamoiski R. Panic comorbidity with bipolar disorder: what is the manic-panic connection? Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:648-664.
14. Simon NM, Smoller JW, Fava M, et al. Comparing anxiety disorders and anxiety-related traits in bipolar disorder and unipolar depression. J Psychiatr Res. 2003;37:187-192.
15. Kraepelin E. Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia. Edinburgh: E & S Livingstone; 1921. Reprinted in: Carlson ET, ed. Dementia Praecox and Paraphrenia Together With Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia. Birmingham, AL: Classics of Medicine Library; 1989:chap 7.
16. Berk M, Dodd S, Malhi GS. “Bipolar missed states”: the diagnosis and clinical salience of bipolar mixed states. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2005;39:215-221.
17. Perlis RH, Miyahara S, Marangell LB, et al. Long-term implications of early onset in bipolar disorder: data from the first 1000 participants in the systematic treatment enhancement program for bipolar disorder (STEP-BD). Biol Psychiatry. 2004;55:875-881.
18. Goldstein BI, Levitt AJ. The specific burden of comorbid anxiety disorders and of substance use disorders in bipolar I disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2008;10:67-78.
19. Goodwin RD, Stayner DA, Chinman MJ, et al. The relationship between anxiety and substance use disorders among individuals with severe affective disorders. Compr Psychiatry. 2002;43:245-252.
20. Nakagawa A, Grunebaum MF, Sullivan GM, et al. Comorbid anxiety in bipolar disorder: does it have an independent effect on suicidality? Bipolar Disord. 2008;10:530-538.
21. Keck PE Jr, Strawn JR, McElroy SL. Pharmacologic treatment considerations in co-occurring bipolar and anxiety disorders. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(suppl 1):8-15.
22. Singh JB, Zarate CA Jr. Pharmacological treatment of psychiatric comorbidity in bipolar disorder: a review of controlled trials. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8: 696-709.
23. Holma KM, Melartin TK, Holma IA, Isometsä ET. Predictors for switch from unipolar major depressive disorder to bipolar disorder type I or II: a 5-year prospective study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008;69:1267-1275.
24. Gao K, Muzina D, Gajwani P, Calabrese JR. Efficacy of typical and atypical antipsychotics for primary and comorbid anxiety symptoms or disorders: a review. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67:1327-1340.
25. Regier DA, Farmer ME, Rae DS, et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse: results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study. JAMA. 1990;264:2511-2518.
26. Grant BF, Stinson FS, Dawson DA, et al. Prevalence and co-occurrence of substance use disorders and independent mood and anxiety disorders: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004;61:807-816.
27. Tohen M, Greenfield SF, Weiss RD, et al. The effect of comorbid substance use disorders on the course of bipolar disorder: a review. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 1998; 6:133-141.
28. Frye MA, Altshuler LL, McElroy SL, et al. Gender differences in prevalence, risk, and clinical correlates of alcoholism comorbidity in bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:883-889.
29. Frye MA, Salloum IM. Bipolar disorder and comorbid alcoholism: prevalence rate and treatment considerations. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:677-685.
30. Salloum IM, Cornelius JR, Mezzich JE, et al. Characterizing female bipolar alcoholic patients presenting for initial evaluation. Addict Behav. 2001;26:341-348.
31. Tohen M, Waternaux CM, Tsuang MT. Outcome in mania: a 4-year prospective follow-up of 75 patients utilizing survival analysis. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1990; 47:1106-1111.
32. Winokur G, Coryell W, Akiskal HS, et al. Alcoholism in manic-depressive (bipolar) illness: familial illness, course of illness, and the primary-secondary distinction. Am J Psychiatry. 1995;152:365-372.
33. Strakowski SM, DelBello MP, Fleck DE, et al. Effects of co-occurring alcohol abuse on the course of bipolar disorder following a first hospitalization for mania. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:851-858.
34. Goldberg JF, Garno JL, Leon AC, et al. A history of substance abuse complicates remission from acute mania in bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999;60: 733-740.
35. Goldberg JF. Bipolar disorder with comorbid substance abuse: diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. J Psychiatr Pract. 2001;7:109-122.
36. Swann AC, Pazzaglia P, Nicholls A, et al. Impulsivity and phase of illness in bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord. 2003;73:105-111.
37. Salloum IM, Cornelius JR, Daley DC, et al. Efficacy of valproate maintenance in patients with bipolar disorder and alcoholism: a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:37-45.
38. Johnson BA, Ait-Daoud N, Bowden CL, et al. Oral topiramate for treatment of alcohol dependence: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;361:1677-1685.
39. Brady KT, Sonne SC, Malcolm RJ, et al. Carbamazepine in the treatment of cocaine dependence: subtyping by affective disorder. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002;10:276-285.
40. Brown ES, Nejtek VA, Perantie DC, et al. Lamotrigine in patients with bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:197-201.
41. Brown ES, Nejtek VA, Perantie DC, Bobadilla L. Quetiapine in bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence. Bipolar Disord. 2002;4:406-411.
42. Brown ES, Jeffress J, Liggin JD, et al. Switching outpatients with bipolar or schizoaffective disorders and substance abuse from their current antipsychotic to aripiprazole. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005;66:756-760.
43. Vornik LA, Brown ES. Substance-abuse comorbidity in bipolar disorder: general considerations and treatment approaches. Clin Approaches Bipolar Disord. 2008;6:3-11.
44. Zarate C, Tohen M. Bipolar disorder and comorbid axis I disorders: diagnosis and management. In: Yatham L, Kusumakar V, Kutcher S, eds. Bipolar Disorder: A Clinician’s Guide to Biological Treatments. New York: Brunner-Routledge; 2002:115-138.
45. National Institute of Mental Health research roundtable on prepubertal bipolar disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:871-878.
46. Massat I, Victoor L. Early bipolar disorder and ADHD: differences and similarities in pre-pubertal and early adolescence. Clin Approaches Bipolar Disord. 2008;6:20-28.
47. Elia J, Ambrosini P, Berrettini W. ADHD characteristics, I: concurrent co-morbidity patterns in children & adolescents. Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2008;2:15.
48. Singh MK, DelBello MP, Kowatch RA, Strakowski SM. Co-occurrence of bipolar and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorders in children. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:710-720.
49. George EL, Miklowitz DJ, Richards JA, et al. The comorbidity of bipolar disorder and axis II personality disorders: prevalence and clinical correlates. Bipolar Disord. 2003;5:115-122.
50. Bieling PJ, MacQueen GM, Marriot MJ, et al. Longitudinal outcome in patients with bipolar disorder assessed by life-charting is influenced by DSM-IV personality disorder symptoms. Bipolar Disord. 2003;5: 14-21.
51. Stormberg D, Ronningstam E, Gunderson J, Tohen M. Brief communication: pathological narcissism in bipolar disorder patients. J Personal Disord. 1998;12: 179-185.
52. Garno JL, Goldberg JF, Ramirez PM, Ritzler BA. Bipolar disorder with comorbid cluster B personality disorder features: impact on suicidality. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005;66:339-345.
53. Akiskal HS, Hantouche EG, Allilaire JF. Bipolar II with and without cyclothymic temperament: “dark” and “sunny” expressions of soft bipolarity. J Affect Disord. 2003;73:49-57.
54. Perugi G, Toni C, Travierso MC, Akiskal HS. The role of cyclothymia in atypical depression: toward a data-based reconceptualization of the borderline-bipolar II connection. J Affect Disord. 2003;73:87-98.
55. Frankenburg FR, Zanarini MC. Divalproex sodium treatment of women with borderline personality disorder and bipolar II disorder: a double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63:442-446.
56. Kutcher SP, Marton P, Korenblum M. Adolescent bipolar illness and personality disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1990;29:355-358.
57. Preston GA, Marchant BK, Reimherr FW, et al. Borderline personality disorder in patients with bipolar disorder and response to lamotrigine. J Affect Disord. 2004;79:297-303.
58. Bogenschutz MP, George Nurnberg H. Olanzapine versus placebo in the treatment of borderline personality disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65:104-109.
59. Rocca P, Marchiaro L, Cocuzza E, Bogetto F. Treatment of borderline personality disorder with risperidone. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63:241-244.
60. Zanarini MC, Frankenburg FR. Olanzapine treatment of female borderline personality disorder patients: a double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2001;62:849-854.
61. Zullino DF, Quinche P, Häfliger T, Stigler M. Olanzapine improves social dysfunction in cluster B personality disorder. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2002;17: 247-251.
62. Krishnan KR. Psychiatric and medical comorbidities of bipolar disorder. Psychosom Med. 2005;67:1-8.
63. McIntyre RS, Konarski JZ, Misener VL, Kennedy SH. Bipolar disorder and diabetes mellitus: epidemiology, etiology, and treatment implications. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2005;17:83-93.
64. Fagiolini A, Kupfer DJ, Houck PR, et al. Obesity as a correlate of outcome in patients with bipolar I disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:112-117.
65. Katon WJ. Clinical and health services relationships between major depression, depressive symptoms, and general medical illness. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54:216-226.
66. Musselman DL, Betan E, Larsen H, Phillips LS. Relationship of depression to diabetes types 1 and 2: epidemiology, biology, and treatment. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54:317-329.
67. Low NC, Du Fort GG, Cervantes P. Prevalence, clinical correlates, and treatment of migraine in bipolar disorder. Headache. 2003;43:940-949.
68. Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, O’Donovan C, et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2007. Bipolar Disord. 2006;8:721-739.
69. Ghaemi SN, Bauer M, Cassidy F, et al. Diagnostic guidelines for bipolar disorder: a summary of the International Society for Bipolar Disorders Diagnostic Guidelines Task Force Report. Bipolar Disord. 2008; 10:117-128.
70. Evans DL, Charney DS. Mood disorders and medical illness: a major public health problem. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54:177-180.
Kessler R. Comorbidity of unipolar and bipolar depression with other psychiatric disorders in a general population survey. In: Tohen M, ed. Comorbidity in Affective Disorders. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 1999: 1-25.
Perlis RH, Miyahara S, Marangell LB, et al. Long-term implications of early onset in bipolar disorder: data from the first 1000 participants in the systematic treatment enhancement program for bipolar disorder (STEP-BD). Biol Psychiatry. 2004;55:875-881.