In Part 2 of this series, I again ask for your feedback to help provide a window into what practicing psychiatrists actually think and do. When we have a large N, I’ll add a synthesis of the series.
The questions in Part 1 focused on the prevalence of bipolar disorder among patients who present with depression in your practice. Here, I ask about your approach to these patients.
When you assess a patient with depression, which most closely describes your approach? Please answer in the comments box. Please indicate if you are a non-clinician.
1. Angst J, Gamma A, Bowden CL, et al. Diagnostic criteria for bipolarity based on an international sample of 5,635 patients with DSM-IV major depressive episodes. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2012;262:3-11.
2. Nurnberger JI Jr, Koller DL, Jung J, et al; Psychiatric Genomics Consortium Bipolar Group. Identification of pathways for bipolar disorder: a meta-analysis. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014;71:657-664.
3. Phillips ML, Kupfer DJ. Bipolar disorder diagnosis: challenges and future directions. Lancet. 2013;381:1663-1671.
4. Leibenluft E. Categories and dimensions, brain and behavior: the yins and yangs of psychopathology. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014;71:15-17.
5. Saenger E. The Bipolarity Index as a tool for assessment and creating rapport: an expert interview with Gary Sachs, MD. Medscape Psychiatry. 2005;10(1).
6. Ghaemi SN, Ko JY, Goodwin FK. “Cade’s disease” and beyond: misdiagnosis, antidepressant use, and a proposed definition for bipolar spectrum disorder. Can J Psychiatry. 2002;47:125-134.
7. The Bipolarity Index. http://psycheducation.org/diagnosis/bipolar-diagnosis-spectrum-or-yesno/the-bipolarity-index/. Accessed July 14, 2017.
8. Aiken CB, Weisler RH, Sachs GS. The Bipolarity Index: a clinician-rated measure of diagnostic confidence. J Affect Disord. 2015;177:59-64.
9. Ma Y, Gao H, Yu X, et al. Bipolar diagnosis in China: evaluating diagnostic confidence using the Bipolarity Index. J Affect Disord. 2016;202:247-253.
10. Mosolov S, Ushkalova A, Kostukova E, et al. Bipolar II disorder in patients with a current diagnosis of recurrent depression. Bipolar Disord. 2014;16:389-399.