Keys to Successful Cotreatment
By Stephen V. Sobel, MD |
November 1, 2006
Dr Sobel is clinical instructor in psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and is in the private practice of psychiatry, specializing in the treatment of adults and adolescents, in San Diego and Carlsbad, California. He is also consulting psychiatrist with the National Football League San Diego Chargers. He is on the speakers' bureau or has received honoraria from Forest Laboratories, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, Sanofi-Aventis, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, and Pfizer Pharmaceutical Co. This article is based on a talk given at the U.S. Psychiatric and Mental Health Congress in 2005.
Drug Mentioned in this Article
1. Friedman ES, Wright JH, Jarrett RB, Thase ME. Combining cognitive therapy and medication for mood disorders. Psychiatr Ann. 2006;36:320-328.
2. Keller MB, McCullough JP, Klein DN, et al. A comparison of nefazedone, the cognitivebehavioral-analysis system of psychotherapy, and their combination for the treatment of chronic depression. N Engl J Med. 2000; 342:1462-1470.
3. Paykel ES, Scott J, Teasdale JD, et al. Prevention of relapse in residual depression by cognitive therapy: a controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999;56:829-835.
4. Otto MW, Pollack MH, Sachs GS, et al. Discontinuation of benzodiazepine treatment: efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with panic disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1993;150:1485-1490.
5. Grilo CM, Money R, Barlow DH, et al. Pretreatment patient factors predicting attrition from a multicenter randomized controlled treatment study for panic disorder. Compr Psychiatry. 1998;39:323-332.
6. Huppert JD, Franklin ME, Foa EB, Davidson JR. Study refusal and exclusion from a randomized treatment study of generalized social phobia. J Anxiety Disord. 2003;17: 683-693.
7. Fossati P, Hevenor SJ, Graham SJ, et al. In search of the emotional self: an fMRI study using positive and negative emotional words. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160: 1938-1945.
8. Gundel H, O’Connor MF, Littrell L, et al. Functional neuroanatomy of grief: an fMRI study. Am J Psychiatry. 2003;160:1946-1953.
9. Goldapple K, Segal E, Garson C, et al. Modulation of cortical-limbic pathways in major depression: treatment specific effects of cognitive behavior therapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2004;61:34-41.
10. Balon R. Positive and negative aspects of split treatment. Psychiatr Ann. 2001;31:598-603.
11. Balon R. Collaborative treatment: the practice of med ication backup. Primary Psychiatry. 1999;6:41-49.
12. Riba MB, Balon R. The challenges of split treatment. In: Kay J, ed. Integrated Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press; 2001:143-164.