Lerner AB, Case JD, Takakashi Y, et al. Isolation of melatonin, the pineal gland factor that lightens melanocytes. J Am Chem Soc
Saper CB, Lu J, Chou TC, Gooley J. The hypothalamic integrator for circadian rhythms. Trends Neurosci
Arendt J, Skene DJ. Melatonin as a chronobiotic. Sleep Med Rev
Horne JA, Ostberg O. A self-assessment questionnaire to determine morningness-eveningness in human circadian rhythms. Int J Chronobiol
Morgenthaler TI, Lee-Chiong T, Alessi C, et al; Standards of Practice Committee of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Practice parameters for the clinical evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine report [published correction appears in Sleep
. 2007;31:table of contents]. Sleep
Cardinali DP, Srinivasan V, Brzezinksi A, Brown GM. Melatonin and its analogs in insomnia and depression. J Pineal Res
Buscemi N, Vandermeer B, Hooton N, et al. The efficacy and safety of exogenous melatonin for primary sleep disorders. A meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med.
Srinivasan V, Pandi-Perumal SR, Trahkt I, et al. Melatonin and melatonergic drugs on sleep: possible mechanisms of action. Int J Neurosci
Wade AG, Crawford G, Ford I, et al. Prolonged release melatonin in the treatment of primary insomnia: evaluation of the age cut-off for short- and long-term response. Curr Med Res Opin
Leger D, Laudon M, Zisapel N. Nocturnal 6-sulfatoxymelatonin excretion in insomnia and its relation to the response to melatonin replacement therapy. Am J Med
Buscemi N, Vandermeer B, Hooton N, et al. Efficacy and safety of exogenous melatonin for secondary sleep disorders and sleep disorders accompanying sleep restriction: meta-analysis. BMJ
Wilson SJ, Nutt DJ, Alford C, et al. British Association for Psychopharmacology consensus statement on evidence-based treatment of insomnia, parasomnias and circadian rhythm disorders. J Psychopharmacol
Karim A, Tolbert D, Cao C. Disposition kinetics and tolerance of escalating single doses of ramelteon, a high-affinity MT1 and MT2 melatonin receptor agonist indicated for treatment of insomnia. J Clin Pharmacol
Yukuhiro N, Kimura H, Nishikawa H, et al. Effects of ramelteon (TAK-375) on nocturnal sleep in freely moving monkeys. Brain Res
Kato K, Hirai K, Nishiyama K, et al. Neurochemical properties of ramelteon (TAK-375), a selective MT1/MT2 receptor agonist. Neuropharmacology
Dobkin RD, Menza M, Bienfait KL, et al. Ramelteon for the treatment of insomnia in menopausal women. Menopause Int
Mayer G, Wang-Weigand S, Roth-Schechter B, et al. Efficacy and safety of 6-month nightly ramelteon administration in adults with chronic primary insomnia. Sleep
Uchiyama M, Hamamura M, Kuwano T, et al. Long-term safety and efficacy of ramelteon in Japanese patients with chronic insomnia. Sleep Med
Zammit G, Erman M, Wang-Weigand S, et al. Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of ramelteon in subjects with chronic insomnia [published corrections appear in J Clin Sleep Med
. 2008;4:table of contents; J Clin Sleep Med
. 2007;3:table of contents]. J Clin Sleep Med
Richardson GS, Zee PC, Wang-Weigand S, et al. Circadian phase-shifting effects of repeated ramelteon administration in healthy adults. J Clin Sleep Med
Zee PC, Wang-Weigand S, Wright KP Jr, et al. Effects of ramelteon on insomnia symptoms induced by rapid, eastward travel. Sleep Med
Reynolds CF, Kupler D. Sleep in depression. In: Williams RZ, Karacan I, Moore CA, eds. Sleep Disorders, Diagnosis and Treatment
. New York: John Wiley; 1988:147-164.
Lustberg L, Reynolds CF. Depression and insomnia: questions of cause and effect. Sleep Med Rev
Hickie IB, Rogers NL. Novel melatonin-based therapies: potential advances in the treatment of major depression. Lancet
Pandi-Perumal SR, Moscovitch A, Srinivasan V, et al. Bidirectional communication between sleep and circadian rhythm and its implications for depression: lessons from agomelatine. Prog Neurobiol
Bendz LM, Scates, AC. Melatonin treatment for insomnia in pediatric patients with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Ann Pharmacother
Srinivasan V, Smits M, Spence W, et al. Melatonin in mood disorders. World J Biol Psychiatry
Maldonado MD, Reiter RJ, Pérez-San-Gregorio MA. Melatonin as a potential therapeutic agent in psychiatric illness. Hum Psychopharmacol
Pandi-Perumal SR, Srinivasan V, Cardinali DP, Monti MJ. Could agomelatine be the ideal antidepressant? Expert Rev Neurother
Kennedy SH, Emsley R. Placebo-controlled trial of agomelatine in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol
Kasper S, Hajak G, Wulff K, et al. Efficacy of the novel antidepressant agomelatine on the circadian rest-activity cycle and depressive and anxiety symptoms in patients with major depressive disorder: a randomized, double-blind comparison with sertraline. J Clin Psychiatry
Hale A, Corral RM, Mencacci C, et al. Superior antidepressant efficacy results of agomelatine versus fluoxetine in severe MDD patients: a randomized, double-blind study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol
33. Lemoine P, Guilleminault C, Alvarez E. Improvement in subjective sleep in major depressive disorder with a novel antidepressant, agomelatine: randomized, double-blind comparison with venlafaxine. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;68:1723-1732.
34. Quera-Salva M-A, Hajak G, Keufer-Le Gall S, Nutt D. Efficacy and safety of agomelatine in patients with major depressive disorder compared to escitalopram: a randomized, double-blind study. Int J Neuropsychiatry. 2010;13:P03-P43.
35. Goodwin GM, Emsley R, Rembry S, et al; Agomelatine Study Group. Agomelatine prevents relapse in patients with major depressive disorder without evidence of a discontinuation syndrome: a 24-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70:1128-1137.
36. Lam RW. Addressing circadian rhythm disturbances in depressed patients. J Psychopharmacol. 2008;22(7 suppl):13-18.
37. Lopes MC, Quera-Salva MA, Guilleminault C. Non-REM sleep instability in patients with major depressive disorder: subjective improvement and improvement of non-REM sleep instability with treatment (agomelatine). Sleep Med. 2007;9:33-41.
38. Guilleminault C. Efficacy of agomelatine versus venlafaxine on subjective sleep of patients with major depressive disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharm. 2005;15(suppl 3):S419.
39. Quera Salva MA, Vanier B, Laredo J, et al. Major depressive disorder, sleep EEG and agomelatine: an open-label study. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2007;10:691-696.
40. Calabrese JR, Guelfi JD, Perdrizet-Chevallier C; Agomelatine Bipolar Study Group. Agomelatine adjunctive therapy for acute bipolar depression: preliminary open data. Bipolar Disord. 2007;9:628-635.
41. Leproult R, Van Onderbergen A, L’hermite-Balériaux M, et al. Phase-shifts of 24-h rhythms of hormonal release and body temperature following early evening administration of the melatonin agonist agomelatine in healthy older men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2005;63:298-304.
42. Pjrek E, Winkler D, Konstantinidis A, et al. Agomelatine in the treatment of seasonal affective disorder. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;190:575-579.
43. Sack RL, Brandes RW, Kendall AR, Lewy AJ. Entrainment of free-running circadian rhythms by melatonin in blind people. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1070-1077.
44. Terzolo M, Revelli A, Guidetti D, et al. Evening administration of melatonin enhances the pulsatile secretion of prolactin but not of LH and TSH in normally cycling women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1993;39:185-191.