Leading medical organizations support policies requiring COVID-19 vaccination.
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) and other leading medical organizations joined the American Medical Association (AMA) in a newly filed set of friend-of-the-court briefs that support policies requiring widespread COVID-19 vaccination.1
Specifically, these AMA-led amicus briefs in Kentucky v. Biden and Georgia v. Biden urge the United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth and Eleventh Circuits to stay lower court orders denying enforcement of the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force’s Guidance for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors.2-4
The AMA, APA, and other medical organizations recognize that COVID-19 is a danger to public health and support widespread vaccination requirements as the most effective strategy to end the COVID-19 pandemic.
The amicus briefs state that loosening requirements of federal contractor vaccination would “severely and irreparably harm workers and undermine the public interest,” as vaccines provide a safe and effective way to protect against transmission of COVID-19 in the workplace. The AMA’s brief also shares that, “other mitigation measures, such as mask wearing and social distancing, remain important. They do not, however, provide the same level of protection against COVID-19 as does vaccination.”
The AMA has filed other briefs in courts around the country in support of the emergency temporary standard issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to protect the health and safety of US workers and families.5,6
1. AMA urges courts to preserve federal contractor vaccination requirement. American Medical Association. December 15, 2021. https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-urges-courts-preserve-federal-contractor-vaccination-requirement
2. Brief of American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, American Academy of Family Physicians, et al. Kentucky v. Biden. Filed December 14, 2021. Accessed December 15, 2021. https://democracyforward.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/AMA-et-al-Amicus-Sixth-Circuit-Ct.-Appeals-12.14.21.pdf
3. Motion for leave to file brief of American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, American Academy of Family Physicians, et al. Georgia v. Biden. Filed December 14, 2021. Accessed December 15, 2021. https://democracyforward.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/AMA-et-al-Amicus-Eleventh-Circuit-Ct.-Appeals-12.14.21.pdf
4. Safer Federal Workforce Task Force. COVID-19 workplace safety: guidance for federal contractors and subcontractors. September 24, 2021. Accessed December 15, 2021. https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/downloads/Draft%20contractor%20guidance%20doc_20210922.pdf
5. AMA urges court to preserve OSHA vaccination and testing mandate. American Medical Association. November 11, 2021. Accessed December 15, 2021. https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-urges-court-preserve-osha-vaccination-and-testing-mandate
6. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. COVID-19 vaccination and testing; emergency temporary standard. Accessed December 15, 2021. https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2021-23643.pdf