What toll does trauma take on police officers, firefighters, and EMT workers?
As we approach the 20th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 tragedies, we are reminded of the mental health sequelae.
“The women and men of our nation’s first responder community are more likely to die by suicide than in the line-of-duty. These Americans who have dedicated their lives to protecting, and saving ours, are taking their own lives because of the physical and mental trauma they experience daily,” said Kevin M. Lynch, CEO and President of The Quell Foundation. “The reality facing our country’s first responders is at a critical point. On this, the 20th anniversary of these tragic events, it is time we take care of the heroes who are there for us.”
1. Bentley MA, Crawford JM, Wilkins JR, et al. An assessment of depression, anxiety, and stress among nationally certified EMS professionals. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2013;17(3):330-338.
2. Abbott C, Barber E, Burke B, et al. What’s killing our medics? Reviving Responders. 2015. Accessed August 20, 2021.http://www.revivingresponders.com/originalpaper/
3. Bowler RM, Kornblith ES, Li J, et al. Police officers who responded to 9/11: comorbidity of PTSD, depression, and anxiety 10–11 years later. Am J Ind Med. 2016;59(6):425-436.
4. Kennedy-Hansen H. How employers can help first responders stay mentally and emotionally strong. Kaiser Permanente. November 18, 2020. Accessed August 20, 2021. https://business.kaiserpermanente.org/insights/mental-health-workplace/first-responder-support
5. Office Suicide Statistics. Blue HELP. Accessed August 20, 2021. https://bluehelp.org/the-numbers/
6. Fahy R, Petrillo JT, Molis J. On-duty firefighter fatalities in the United States in 2019. NFPA Journal. July 1, 2020. Accessed August 20, 2021. https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/Publications-and-media/NFPA-Journal/2020/July-August-2020/Features/Firefighter-Fatalities
7. Lulla A, Tian L, Moy HP, et al. The EMS suicide threat. EMS World. February 2020. Accessed August 20, 2021. https://www.hmpgloballearningnetwork.com/site/EMSWorld/1223779/ce-article-ems-suicide-threat
8. Stanley IH, Hom MA, Joiner TE. A systematic review of suicidal thoughts and behaviors among police officers, firefighters, EMTs, and paramedics. Clin Psychol Rev. 2016;44:25-44.