Key Take-Home Messages
- COVID-19 is associated with increased rates of common mental disorders.
- There are higher rates of increased mental disorders for young individuals and for girls and females.
- There is some evidence of higher rates of alcohol use, especially among those with prior harmful drinking.
- So far, few data show time trends and relationships with COVID-19 infection peaks and waves.
- To date, no clear evidence exists of raised suicide rates.
- Beware of overgeneralizations.
- Health and social care staff are at higher risk of common mental disorders.
- Protective factors include social support and prompt government action.